Open Modal

Cherry Creek CO - 80014

78°
Thunderstorm (partly cloudy)
Thursday
Thu
80°
59°
Friday
Fri
81°
58°
Saturday
Sat
77°
54°
Sunday
Sun
79°
55°
Monday
Mon
80°
56°
Tuesday
Tue
83°
56°
Wednesday
Wed
77°
53°
join-convo

Church of England Apologizes After Conviction of Evangelical Leader for Abuse

Envato

Woman at a praise and worship service / Envato Market

by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Europe Bureau Chief

LONDON (Worthy News) – The Church of England has apologized after the former leader of a once-celebrated evangelical congregation in Sheffield was convicted earlier this month of sexually abusing women in his flock during the 1980s and 1990s.

Chris Brain, 68, who led the Nine O’Clock Service, (or NOS) was found guilty at Inner London Crown Court of 17 counts of indecent assault against nine women. He denied the charges. Brain was acquitted of 15 other counts, while jurors could not reach verdicts on four additional charges and one rape allegation. Prosecutors said they would “carefully consider” whether to pursue a retrial.

Brain has not yet been sentenced. Under British law, indecent assault can carry prison terms of up to five years per offense, depending on the circumstances. It was not immediately clear whether he plans to appeal.

Brain’s nightclub-style services, held on Sunday evenings, drew hundreds of young people at their peak. But prosecutors said he manipulated congregants, isolating them from family and friends, and cultivated a “homebase team” of young women who looked after him and were dubbed the “lycra nuns.”

The Nine O’Clock Service had the backing of the Church of England. His ordination was fast-tracked after meetings with the Archbishop of Canterbury-elect George Carey, and the church even spent large sums to obtain the costume worn by actor Robert De Niro in the 1986 film The Mission for his ceremony.

Brain resigned in 1995 just before Britain’s BBC broadcaster aired a documentary alleging sexual misconduct.

“What happened was an appalling abuse of power and leadership that should never have occurred,” said Bishop of Sheffield Pete Wilcox. “Where concerns were raised in the past and were not acted upon properly, that was a failing of the Church. For those institutional failures, I offer an unreserved apology.”

The post Church of England Apologizes After Conviction of Evangelical Leader for Abuse appeared first on Worthy Christian News.

Leave a Reply

Recommended Posts

Loading...