Open Modal

Cherry Creek CO - 80014

32°
Sunny
Thursday
Thu
40°
17°
Friday
Fri
35°
18°
Saturday
Sat
47°
20°
Sunday
Sun
49°
25°
Monday
Mon
63°
34°
Tuesday
Tue
68°
37°
Wednesday
Wed
64°
34°
join-convo

US Averted Mass ISIS Escape From Syrian Prisons, Officials Say (Worthy News Investigation)

Envato Market

Syria map / Envato Market

by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent

DAMASCUS (Worthy News) – The United States military has helped avert a potentially catastrophic mass escape of thousands of Islamic State (ISIS) militants from detention facilities in northeastern Syria as instability deepened in the region, officials said.

More than 5,700 adult male ISIS detainees were recently transferred from prisons in Syria to Iraqi custody in a U.S.-supported operation, according to U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) and Iraqi officials familiar with the situation.

The transfer, which began in January, was carried out at the request of Iraq’s government and was aimed at preventing a possible resurgence of the extremist group.

CENTCOM said the “orderly and secure transfer” would help reduce the risk of ISIS regrouping in Syria.

INTELLIGENCE WARNING

Fox News Digital, the online arm of broadcaster Fox News, reported that a senior U.S. intelligence official described the detainees as “the worst of the worst” and warned that a prison collapse could have dramatically altered the security landscape.

“If these 6,000 or so got out and returned to the battlefield, that would basically be the instant reconstitution of ISIS,” the official was quoted as saying.

The detainees had been guarded by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which has faced increasing pressure amid clashes and shifting control in parts of northern Syria, Worthy News learned.

MULTI-AGENCY RESPONSE

U.S. intelligence agencies, diplomats, and military planners coordinated efforts over several weeks to relocate the detainees before conditions deteriorated further, officials said.

Helicopter transfers and logistical support from U.S. forces moved thousands of prisoners into Iraqi custody, several sources confirmed.

Thousands of detainees were transferred to Iraqi facilities under an arrangement between Baghdad and coalition partners, officials said.

Iraqi authorities have said they plan to pursue identification and legal proceedings where possible, while U.S. officials are encouraging countries of origin to repatriate their citizens among the detainees.

CHRISTIANS AMONG TARGETS OF ISIS

The transfer comes against the backdrop of ISIS’s brutal campaign in Syria and Iraq and ongoing concerns among minority Christians about Islamic extremism in the region, Worthy News documented.

During the group’s territorial rule from 2014 to 2019, Christians, Yazidis, and other religious minorities were abducted, executed, forced to convert, or driven from their ancestral communities.

Church leaders and human rights groups have reported widespread persecution of Christian believers in areas once controlled by ISIS, including kidnappings, public killings, and the destruction of churches and monasteries.

The fate of thousands of women and children linked to ISIS fighters — many held in camps such as al-Hol in northeastern Syria — remains unresolved and continues to pose security and humanitarian challenges.

SECURITY CONCERNS REMAIN

While U.S. officials are describing the detainee transfer as a significant step toward preventing an immediate ISIS resurgence, analysts caution that ongoing instability in Syria continues to present risks.

For now, U.S. and Iraqi officials say the coordinated effort has reduced the likelihood of thousands of experienced ISIS fighters reentering the battlefield at once.

Yet the situation remains under close monitoring.

The post US Averted Mass ISIS Escape From Syrian Prisons, Officials Say (Worthy News Investigation) appeared first on Worthy Christian News.

Leave a Reply

Recommended Posts

Loading...